MBE, MB ChB, Hon DSc (Madras) FRCP, FFTM (RCP&S Glasgow); FRCGP; Dip Phil. Religion and Science (Cambridge)
Honorary Professor (University of Glasgow) in Travel and Global Health. Responsibilities for Global Health and Travel Medicine special study modules (SSCs) and the Intercalated BSc course within Glasgow University
Previously Consultant in Infectious Diseases and established travel health advisory services within Health Protection Scotland including the Travax and Fit for Travel websites.
- Developed Diploma and MSc courses within Travel Medicine with Glasgow University (now managed by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons (RCP&S Glasgow).
- Established Faculty of Travel Medicine within the RCP&S Glasgow and was first Dean of the Faculty from 2006.
- Physician and lecturer with Madras University during the 1970s, based in the Christian Medical College Hospital, Vellore, South India.
- Principal collaborator for a 10-year linked educational project between Glasgow and India on Hepatitis and HIV supported by the British Council during the 1990s.
- On the steering group for a travel medicine education and research partnership with Ramachandra Medical College in Chennai based on the BGTHA’s ABC of Travel Health e-learning course.
- Books include the ABC of Healthy Travel, Diseases of Infection, the Textbook of Travel Medicine and Migrant Health and ‘A Doctors Reflections on Change’.
I am an enthusiastic gardener based on permaculture and sustainable environmental principles, a bee keeper and play viola with the Stirling Orchestra.